Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Willpower

I feel like I’m on a diet – and as soon as you are forbidden something you want it more. Not a yarn diet like most of the blog-world. A UFO diet. And I’m away from home, sequestered from most of the temptation, but it’s still THERE, they are there. As I’ve already established, I have a little startitis problem.

Desire to start something new is just mocking me at this point. Resisting that desire is a tiny bit easier since most of my yarn is many miles away, and I’ve been away from home since January 7th, and I brought a bunch of lingering old projects with me. But there are the fourteen pairs-worth of sock yarn and a cone of Zephyr that have accumulated (did I mention Lots of Yarn) and are now traveling with me. The Zephyr wants me to start some lace and doesn’t care about the alpaca Fino at home.

No. No. No.

When I read Margene’s post this afternoon I had been reflecting on all this, and she hit the nail on the head. I need to free up some space in my brain.

I started this blog with a list in the sidebar to help remind me, guilt me, shame me into either finishing or frogging, loving or leaving behind those projects tucked into bags, and boxes, and totes, and taunting me from under my work table. But it’s worse than that list. I have to take a real inventory when I get home next week and drag out all the planned, started, requested, and promised projects and make some decisions before they drive me crazy. Specifically, I really should not start a couple more pairs of socks until I clear out some dead wood. Sock Madness excepted.

Now another thing, I used to eat all of the thing I hated first, so I could end my meal with the taste of something I loved. I’m applying that strategy and trying to force myself to finish the less-loved projects first. Ahh, now we’re back to WILLPOWER.

This post is already long, I know. And the rest is more for my process than any readers I may have. So, anyone who has made it this far, now’s a good time to sneak out!

Here’s what I can remember, in no particular order, and each item’s planned disposition. I only have photos only of what I have with me.

UFO’s:


Log Cabin Blanket - long term TV knitting at the Bay house, no ETA. The giant log cabin square has lost its appeal so my current plan is to mix up large squares of different types, eg miters, stripes, etc. In Heirloom 8ply, washable wool, will end up large afghan size.

Felted Tote – working on it, the pockets and maybe a quarter of the body done, but the stiff yarn and large for me US 9’s (since I am usually on US 0 – 5) hurt my arm and I have to take this in small doses. My sister gave me the yarn years ago and I feel I should finish it and give her the tote. The yarn is too scratchy for sweaters but what’s left after the tote, doubled and felted will make a great small rug.

Touch Me Scarf – just knit the damn thing already. Love Touch Me, hate garter stitch. No pic, it’s Touch Me, it’s garter stitch.


Amble Socks – I am one and two-thirds into a pair of socks with this lovely gansey sock pattern from the Six Sox Yahoo group in Lang JaWoll. I started this pair an eon ago, and at times with the arm stuff my gauge has varied wildly. I think these socks must be ripped, given a decent interval for mourning and perhaps re-knit when I have recovered.

While we’re on ganseys, Sea Fever Cardigan – in heathery lavender Berroco Ultra Alpaca (love this yarn!) I got the ribbing done and was just about to start the body when I set this aside before the holidays. It’s at home and I wish I had it with me as I really do want to work on this one.

Idena (pink/blue) socks – last year I got to take care of Dad for almost six weeks, this year it was Mom. While in Sarasota, in desperation I bought this cute sport weight sock yarn. I’ve knit up the first sock with one size too small needles and though they will make great light boot socks, it hurts my hand a bit to knit, but I cannot justify ripping out that perfectly good sock. Can. Not. Just have to keep plugging on this one.

I forgot I started a Clapotis until I looked at the sidebar. See, too many UFO’s to even remember them all! This is in a variegated wool/camel blend from Just Our Yarn from the Fall Fiber Festival. Only a little bit done. It’s at home and I will honestly review it for rip or continue status.

Ugly sweater with some Berroco yarn that was on sale that George talked me into – I’ll have to look at this one again when I get home. I feel guilty about just, maybe, throwing it away. It’s black with bright colors shot through the yarn, and if I eliminate the icky cabley nonsense on the cardi fronts it could be a fun summer sweater. Or not, we’ll see. No pic, lucky for you.

Mystery Stoles One and Two – One in fingering wt grey alpaca, Two in undyed laceweight cashmere. Neither is very far along at all. I do like the patterns, but will have to decide whether to cut my losses on these as I haven’t invested much time. There are plenty of other lace patterns I would love to knit with these yarns.

Red worsted wt socks - will finish or rip them. They’re the last of some Knitaly from about 20 years ago. I’ll tell the story sometime of how mean the yarn store lady was that day. I use her as my role model of how not to treat customers.

I have a single sock in CTH Birches, love the yarn, hate the colorway. Maybe I’ll knit the other and over-dye both.

I know there’s more, and I will not count dishcloths.

Planned, Promised, or Requested:

Peter wants me to make him a white/off-white dress scarf and I have some beautiful soft undyed alpaca from our local Rivanna River Farm. I haven’t decided on whether to use a simple rib, some kind of textured slip stitch, or Hypoteneuse. I’ll make that Hypoteneuse one way or another, maybe as a stole for me, and not for this scarf.

I have the pattern, and yarn for an Xmas stocking for Peter that is almost exactly like the one I’ve had since I was tiny. I even have the tiny ball of super-fuzzy white angora for Santa’s beard and eyebrows! How many days until Xmas?

I have enough blue cotton classic and black provence for a couple of summer cardigans. Need to get busy. I did make CeCe last summer and might use that pattern again but with the longer sleeves. What to make with some lavender Patons Grace.

Rainbow Jacket/Viv Hoxbro – I have the kit in Color 12, the blues/greens, I need time and a recipient.

Frog the cropped cardi I knit in Noro Sakura and re-knit something I like and that doesn’t look stupid on me. Maybe the Y2Knit Feathers wrap.

And some really big lace. Like the Melanie Shawl from Sharon Miller of Heirloom Knitting. Or Hazel Carter’s Sampler Stole from Gathering of Lace. Or something fabulous from Victorian Lace Today.

Also forgot I have some gorgeous variegated blue/green yarn from Spirit Trail and some black Ultra Alpaca for the Celtic Knot vest from Folk Vests (it’s the one on the cover.)

I have promised myself some fancy Nancy Bush socks this year.

And about fifty other sock patterns.

Mitts, wristies, warshcloths. As needed.