Saturday, March 3, 2007

Lace and Leaves

When traveling, I always seem to take phtos of leaves. For the patterns, the textures, the play of light and dark. I’ve also always loved winter landscapes and seeing the structure of the different types of trees.

And now I knit Lace. People who know me do not know me as a frilly girly-girl. Yet, I have knit a bunch of lace shawls, have a long list of patterns I would love to try, and that’s before even thinking about designing something of my own.

I believe there must be a connection. Let’s see, the patterns, the textures, the play of open and solid, the structure.

Sweaters may bore me to tears but somehow I can stick it out through rounds of 800 stitches. In mohair.

Indulge me in a photo tour of some lacy leaves and leafy lace.

lacyleaves-01

lacyleaves-02

lacyleaves-03

lacyleaves-04

lacyleaves-05

lacyleaves-06

lacyleaves-07
Yes, I know these aren't leaves. This is from a spa in Plymouth, Montserrat, ruined by the volcano. The fascia board cut-outs in the form of hot springs make me think of lace.

lacyleaves-08

lacyleaves-09

lacyleaves-10

lacyleaves-11

lacyleaves-12

lacyleaves-13

Mystery Diamond

Flowing River

Sunflower

Summer into Fall

Oriel

Swallowtail