Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Made More Yarn

BFL Pussy Willows
Blue Faced Leicester, Pussy Willows

Over the weekend, I finished spinning and plying the Wooly Wonka BFL roving.

BFL Pussy Willows
290 yds, 2-ply sportweight

I hoped to spin enough 2-ply sportweight for some fingerless mitts for the Husband, and I am very happy to have done just that!

BFL close-up
The obligatory gauge shot with a dime

Specs (bearing in mind my novice status and that I'm still learning even how to take the proper notes):

Fiber: Blue Faced Leicester roving, hand-dyed, Pussy Willows, 2 @ 2oz

Purchased from: Wooly Wonka Fibers, from Anne’s Etsy shop

Spun with: Louet Victoria

WPI/Gauge/TPI: 14wpi / Sport / avg 5.5tpi

Plies/Method: 2-ply / standard using tensioned lazy kate

Yardage/Finished Wt: 290yds / 3.2oz

Started: ~5/6/2007
Completed: 5/13/2007

Intended Project: Mitts for the Husband

Notes:

Spun on slowest whorl, but with fairly high (for me) twist, medium tension. Plied with fairly high twist and medium tension.

The BFL is soft, easy to spin, medium staple length. I think I am using a short-ish forward draw. I split the roving lengthwise and spun both bobbins in roughly the same order to try to get a bit of subtle striping in the finished yarn. The yarn does have a mix of solid and barberpole sections. I had several breaks in the singles while plying which were probably a function of the tension (?). In some cases I was able to join the errant single back in and continue, a couple required knots.

My spinning and plying continue to improve, though there are slightly thicker and thinner, tighter and looser areas. The yarn bloomed a bit with a soak to set the twist. I’m quite pleased with the finished product.