Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Resistance is Futile

Krista suggested we meet at Limerick Fibres (no website, but HERE’s info) in Gordonsville this afternoon to check out sock yarns for our Sockapalooza 4 sock pals. It was my first visit to Limerick, surprisingly, and it’s a nice shop. Lots of colors of Cascade 220, and a nice selection in general, but we were on a sock yarn mission. Both our pals have sensitive feet and we have to be choosy. Well we both came away without sock yarn, but not completely empty handed.

I found a few simple sweater patterns (‘cause someday I will have enough handspun to knit a sweater, and heaven knows I have stuff in yarn stash right now, and I like simple sweaters), and yes Mary, YOUR hat.
sweater patterns-1
Inspected for the highest quality

Found a lace stitch dictionary to add to my collection.
knitting lace book
Knitting Lace, Susanna E. Lewis

I’ve been wanting to try spinning some superwash for possible socks or mitts and found this roving that is fit for any woodland creature, or the husband – chocolate brown and mossy green, about 5oz.
woodland superwash-1a
Woodland creature roving

And then, my extravagance for the day, 2oz of cashmere. Yes, two of these. I could not resist. Well, I guess I could have, but why would I have wanted to?
cashmere fibre
Soft, and fluffy. Did I mention soft?

Krista, G (her little man) and I then walked over to The Gentle Gardener to look for some plants. She got a nice Lamb’s Ears, to continue the soft and fuzzy trend. I found a lovely glazed flower pot, amazingly buy one get one free, and a few things to fill in the pool garden where I have eradicated the lemon balm which was doing just a little too well, a meadow sage, a hardy geranium, and a new one for me (but with a deer resistant tag one I had to try) Amsonia hubrechtii or Blue Star. Pictures later when the garden looks a bit more filled in and not so weedy.

Northern Albemarle County is absolutely gorgeous, particularly this time of year. So, it was a great day for a drive to the country. And if I ever get the hang of this blogging thing, I might remember my camera once in a while.

Quality control provided today by Ivy.
Ivy 070501