Thursday, June 21, 2007

Welcome to Summer!

On the way home from Pop’s on Monday it sure felt like it was Summer already. Here we are at the North end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, on the way home to Charlottesville.


P & M at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel
By the Bay


Rambouillet Skein One
Before we left to spend the weekend and Father’s Day with my FIL, I finished spinning the first half of Anne’s lovely Rambouillet roving. This is the first fiber in the the Wooly Wonka Exotic Fibers Club. I’ve posted about it before here.


Rambouillet Skein One

This is about 1.8oz, 145yds, 2-ply, 12wpi/DK weight. I’m planning to knit up the lacy rib cowl pattern that we received with the fiber. The Rambouillet is very soft and lofty. So, it should make a very warm neckwarmer either for me, or perhaps it will find its purpose in life as an xmas gift. There’s another 2oz left to spin and I may experiment with blending the Rambo with another fiber to see how that spins up.


Sock Pal Socks Done!
Voting so far is in favor of the socks being swap-worthy!


Sockapalooza 4 Socks
These are in fact the same dyelot!


Spinning Merino-Tencel
The Husband and Pop watched pretty much continuous coverage of the US Open Golf. I’m a golfer too, but that’s a LOT of golf. Fortunately I had a nice spot with a view of the TV and room to set up the wheel. I got the first half spun of what will be a 2-ply light fingering weight.


merino-tencel bobbin one
Merino/tencel first bobbin of singles

This is the Ashland Bay Trading Co. merino/tencel 70/30 roving I found at Rocktown Yarns when Krista and I visited. It’s a lovely deep blue-purple blended with the pale tencel. The sheen is nicer in person, and I think will show up more when the yarn is plied and can relax a bit. I’m still working on spinning a fine laceweight with the Louet Victoria and time will tell if it’s my experience level or the wheel’s limited top speed that’s keeping me from quite getting as fine a single as I want. I’m getting closer though.


Argosy Scarf
Thanks for asking Bitty, here's some progress on the Argosy Scarf with my handspun.



argosy progress 070620-2
Relaxing in the hostas

It’s creeping along. I frogged back and added an extra set of increases as it was just too skinny as written. I like the stripe-y yarn with the columnar pattern, and the sort of plaid they make. This is a low priority knit and will probably continue as TV or SnB knitting until it’s a length I like.




Summer of Socks

SoS starts today! I'm not planning to compete for most socks or anything, but I will post and discuss socks as we go. I've got the second Mad-Tini sock on the needles now, but will probably start a quickie pair of Charade's on the plane, since we're . . . .



Traveling Again
We’re going on an insane five day round-trip to Scotland. Graduation doesn’t plan itself around our business schedule. So, we leave Saturday afternoon and will be back Thursday night. My stepdaughter is graduating from the University of Edinburgh with a degree in Archaeology with honors! We’re very proud of her and no matter where the next adventure takes her, she’s the one we know will always figure out a way to make things happen.

It’s such a quick trip, and right now the weather forecast is pretty Scotland-ish, so we’re not making a lot of touristy sightseeing plans. We’re hoping to relax, stroll around a bit, see a few sights (the botanical garden is a must), maybe happen upon a yarn shop, avoid haggis, and hoist a pint of ale or wee dram of whisky at the pub. As the Husband and I are golfers, I’ve promised him a day trip to St Andrews, if it’s not pouring rain.

No blogging, and likely no internet access until I return. And I’ll let you know if I’m able to get the knitting needles through airport security!