Friday, August 31, 2007

Actual Knitting Content

New Knitting:

Hypoteneuse Stole

Hypoteneuse is one of the wonderful designs from Anne Hanson at Knitspot. I swatched some Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool for the Tangled Yoke (see below) and it just wasn’t going to work for me to get gauge and knit a sweater’s worth of Silky Wool with US3’s. No! Then, while browsing through my pattern stash and thinking about the new handspun, I looked again at Hypoteneuse and realized it would be a perfect project for the Silky Wool.
As always, click the images for large size.

Hypoteneuse Stole - 1

Hypoteneuse has a simple geometric “lace” pattern that, so far, is a wonderfully easy fun knit. It’s just soothing. The stitch pattern is easy to read without referring to the chart or text, and on US6’s it's moving along quickly (compared to my usual socks and laceweight!). The cool-feeling raw-silky wool really is a perfect yarn for this pattern. It’s light and soft, but also just warm enough.

Hypoteneuse Stole detail


New Wanna Knit:

Tangled Yoke Cardigan from Fall 2007 Interweave Knits.

Tangled Yoke Fall 2007 IK
© Interweave Knits

I had a bit of a weak moment and asked The Yarn Lounge to order me enough Blue Sky Alpaca/Silk to make this sweater. Thanks Melanie and Stewart for another wonderful visit to the shop! The Yarn Lounge has the most lovely yarns from Rowan, Jo Sharp (want the alpaca silk georgette), and Blue Sky Alpacas. A smattering of other wonderful luxury yarns and hand-dyed sock yarns and a lovely serene setting make this one of my favorite yarn shops ever.

I’m still planning to knit the HoneyBee Stole, but need more space in my brain right now, and am considering spinning some singles for it. Madness, sheer madness.


UFOR:
(UFO Resurrection)

Speaking of Madness, it’s time for the MadTini Second Sock. This was the second sock in this Spring’s Sock Madness. I didn’t get very far in the competition, as I am just not a fast sock knitter, and my PT would say I’m not supposed to knit that much that fast anyway.

MadTiniOne-3
Why don’t you love me enough to knit my second sock?

Guilt trip from a sock, great. So, it’s Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock, in maybe Spruce? I got this on eBay a while back, it’s a multi of almost-black, olive, green and blue, and it looks better than it sounds.

So, I finished the first sock ages ago. Then finished the Ambles, my Sock Pal Socks, the pair of Charades. Poor MadTini just waited patiently. Must. Finish. Second. Sock. Before I cast on another pair of socks. Or maybe one other pair of socks. But definitely not two, other, pairs.

MadTiniTwo-1
Just getting to the end of the “Oblique Ribs”


Sea Fever Gansey Cardigan

Started this I think last Spring or Summer or Fall. Fall, that’s my final answer. Yes, of 2006. Got the ribbing done and was just starting into the body when I set it aside for Xmas knitting. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. See why I wanted a blog to force me to document my projects. Anyway, it’s back.

Sea Fever Cardigan ribbing
Lots of Ribbing

Berroco Ultra Alpaca, Lavender Mix, on US 4’s because I’m such a loose knitter. I love this yarn! It’s Lavender! And as if that weren’t enough, it’s 50/50 alpaca/wool and knits like a dream. Very soft in the hand while knitting, blocks well, has a lot more wooly elasticity than I expected it would when I knit the Husband Vest. The pattern is a simple gansey style cardigan, knit in one piece to the armholes.

Sea Fever Cardi - the color
Close up of the heathery color


And lastly, the Argosy Scarf

This is now my TV knitting. Easy (finally have the pattern stuck in my head) to pick up and put down. The handspun corrriedale is knitting up nicely in this bias pattern.

Argosy Scarf - progress 070831


Of my other UFO’s we shall not speak.