Monday, September 10, 2007

Cormo DK

Cormo DK
Cormo woolen-spun 2-ply DK

The fiber was in carded roving form, very soft, but just a little neppy. I decided to practice long draw with this roving, since the singles I was spinning up were a bit uneven anyway. My preference, at this time, is for longer fibers and worsted spinning. That’s just my preference, not a criticism of this fiber.

At first I intended to spin just 1oz, per the pattern that came with the fiber, but ended up spinning the full 2oz. Having split off a little less than 1oz to start with, the first bobbin was a little short on yardage. So, I Andean-plied the last of the singles from the second bobbin to even things up.

I got a lot better feel for the long-draw drafting method by the end of the roving, and am planning to pull something out of the fiber stash that is a bit longer-stapled to see if it was my drafting that was not smooth or the nature of the fiber.

Spun and plied, the yarn is somewhat uneven, both in my spinning of the singles and in the plying. In setting the twist, I gave the skein pretty rough handling – dunks in hot and cold water, no plunging but some agitation, and about a dozen good thwacks on the shower tile. The above really does help smooth things out, and I have had no felting as a result.

The finished yarn is very soft, light, fluffy, and squooshy. This yarn definitely wants to be knit into something next-to-the-skin, perhaps a cowl or scarf.

Cormo DK detail
Detail of plying and general fuzziness

Details:
Fiber/Starting Weight: Cormo roving / ~2.1oz unspun

Purchased from: Wooly Wonka Fibers

Spun with: Lendrum, long-draw woolen spun

Whorl / Tension: Fast Flyer – small 20:1 / medium +

Plies/Method: 2-ply / standard

WPI/Gauge/TPI: 12wpi / DK / 6-8tpi

Yardage/Finished Wt: 232yds / 2.0oz

Started: 9/7/2007
Completed: 9/9/2007