Friday, September 7, 2007

Peer Pressure

Or, WIP Guilt Trip Friday

Well, I think I’ll start a new, semi-regular feature here at Lots of Yarn to keep myself from generating a whole new pile of UFO’s, even if this current bout of Startitis continues. Let’s see if posting progress shots of the current projects on the needles, even if the progress is pitiful, will embarrass me into finishing some things.

WIP’s in Active Rotation:

Hypoteneuse Stole: Knitspot’s simple, geometric “man-lace” is still wonderful. Easy knitting, goes quickly in the DK Silky Wool. Great SnB, car, and TV knitting.
Progress: Into repeat 4 of 18.
Hypoteneuse Stole progress 070907

Forest Canopy Shawl: A great example of Startitis. Despite other WIP’s, this project could not be put off. Knit with my handspun fingering weight BFL using Susan Lawrence’s pattern, this is about the easiest lace I have ever knit. I had the repeat stuck in my head after the first time through. So, this one has been hard to put down. The BFL is knitting up softer than I anticipated, and isn’t as stripey in person as in the photo.
Forest Canopy Shawl started

Sea Fever Cardigan: I knit through the rest of the first ball down in Mathews and hadn’t brought more yarn, so I had to set this aside for a couple of days. At 240+ stitches per row, and a little bit of pattern on the WS, this one may take a while to finish.
Sea Fever detail 070907

However, with Bitty’s endorsement and encouragement, I have struck a blow for freedom, cast on three extra stitches and started knitting this thing in the ROUND! Steeks here I come. My only real concern was whether the alpaca/wool blend would be too slippery to anchor itself well and cause problems after cutting. I may swatch a crochet steek and see how that does. If the stitches slip I’ll pull out the trusty old Singer and machine stitch instead.
Sea Fever progress 070907

MadTini Sock Two: Pattern from Sock Madness. My carry around knitting, this will get worked on in bits and pieces.
Progress: Ribbing and two repeats on the leg done.
MadTini Two-2

Argosy Scarf: Knit with my handspun fingering weight Corriedale. Easy knitting, need to get this done for the Xmas gift list. Haven’t touched it in the past week though, so no photo.
Progress: About 60%. Will knit until I run out of yarn.

Spinning – Cormo: Fiber #2 from the Wooly Wonka Fiber Club is a Cormo carded roving. It was spinning up very fuzzy and a little lumpy anyway, so I’m going to spin the 2oz long-draw/woolen for practice. It’s a pretty creamy white as-is, though I may dye the yarn when it’s done.
Cormo from Wooly Wonka


UFO Hall of Shame - Ancient History:

Felted Tote: My sister (M) bought some yarn, never got around to knitting it herself, gave it to me to knit sweaters for nephews (sons of C) when they were little. The yarn is heavy worsted weight, lovely but scratchy wool. Honestly, I tried to knit a sweater with it. Two out of three nephews are teenagers now. A couple of years ago, I thought I would knit and felt a tote for M, so at least the yarn would go back to her as a useful item. The yarn makes my hands tired to knit. I may try giving the remaining yarn a little bath to soften it before knitting any more of it.
Progress: Pockets are knit, body of bag is about 30%.
Status: Hold

Touch Me Scarf: Seriously, how hard is it to finish a garter stitch scarf? Apparently very hard.

Dancing Crayons Wrap: A holdover from the novelty yarn craze of a few years ago, or, What Was I Thinking. The base yarn is some sensible Montera, and the accent yarns are all in purples and blues. The pattern is for several large mitered squares that make an asymmetrical wrap/poncho, but I never liked the way it looked. I have all the miscellaneous yarns still in a bag with the rest of the wrap. What I think will work is to undo the button band and a bit of knitted on I-cord, knit one more square to even it out, and let it be a big cozy wrap.
Progress: Was nearly done but for some buttons, now needs another square and some I-cord.
Status: Hold

Clapotis: It’s a big stockinette rectangle, and I don’t like to purl. I think this project is doomed. I have 600yds of hand-dyed camel/wool in sport/DK weight from Just Our Yarn in deep purples and greens. What would it rather be?