Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Knitter’s Prerogative

I’ve changed my mind.

The Tangled Yoke Cardigan has captured my knitting heart. I just really want to knit this thing. Does it help that I sat right behind Crafty Lawyer’s pretty green TYC for an entire three hour class. Yes!

So, I swatched with Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, which lots of knitters are substituting for the Rowan Felted Tweed. As a very loose knitter, I would have been on US3’s to get gauge and there’s enough texture/stickiness to the yarn that it would have been a bad thing for my hand/wrist/arm, that much knitting at 6spi. So, I had some Classic Elite Wool BamBoo and love the color, sheen, and stitch definition. So, I decided to knit the sweater with this, despite being off gauge, and was going to knit the smallest size’s numbers, and wing it. Got a cuff cast on before Stitches then set this aside while I was gone.

Tangled Yoke Cardi, cast on first sleeve
TYC cast-on with Classic Elite Wool BamBoo

My visit to the evil temptress that is the Webs booth resulted in a sweater’s worth of Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light in denim mix. I love the regular Ultra Alpaca – it is soft, forgiving to knit, warm, and holds both it’s shape and blocking well. It can be knit a wide range of gauges equally well. The Light is the very same yarn in a sportweight of 5.75spi. So, I’m on US3’s (but with a soft smooth yarn), just a bit over gauge, but I think the size Small numbers will work. My sleeve/swatch will tell me what I need to do by the time I get to the stockinette section.

Tangled Yoke Cardi re-started with Ultra Alpaca Light
Begin again with Ultra Alpaca Light

Mods so far: I’ve made the sleeve cuff quite a bit narrower, and will have plenty of room for the extra increases with the extra couple of inches I usually need to add to the length.

ETA: I'm seriously thinking about knitting the body in the round with a steek for the front. Anyone want to tell me why I shouldn't?

And the Wool BamBoo? I think it wants to be Marla from Melissa Leapman's Hot Knits. This is the leaf lace cable and vee neck we swatched in class at Stitches.

stitches - marla
In the queue