Monday, October 15, 2007

Public Service Announcement

I know some of you are feeling a little hungover from your Stitches purchases. Here at Lots of Yarn, we know how you feel and want to do something about it.

Wanna see what I got? It might make you feel better!! Now bear in mind, I went to the Fall Fiber Festival last weekend. I have Lots of Yarn. I have Lots of Fiber. OOoops.

Scored some Socks That Rock from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. It’s not for me, it’s a gift.

stitches - STR
Cobalt Bloom, Seal Rock, Rooster Rock

Rosie’s Yarn Cellar had lots of beautiful sock yarns and Sea Silk, but I restrained myself. Knitting Notions’ wonderful kettle-dyed merino in gorgeous colors from laceweight to worsted, is always tempting, but still, I was good.

stitches - nature and knitting
Nature’s Palette Hand Jive in Pale Teal, Knitting Notions Superwash sock in Deep Blue Sea

Visited Skaska Designs and succumbed to some softness. The beginning of the slippery slope.

stitches - skaska
8oz of Cormo roving and 2,000yds of cashmere laceweight, MMmmmmm

Kid Hollow Farm from just outside Charlottesville are wonderful folks and blend their mohair with BFL for some really delicious rovings. Now throw in some alpaca and you’ve got a deal. I purchased some of this beautiful dark chocolate roving at Montpelier, but wanted another half pound for a sweater’s worth rather than just a vest.

stitches - kid hollow
Kid Mohair, BFL, Alpaca 70% cacao

Then, as they say, I had a little falling down in the Windy Valley Muskox Booth. I have two skeins at home of the pure qiviut, but the blends were my sirens. It wasn’t a fair fight. The samples in Suri Alpaca were too lovely. The qiviut/merino/silk is too soft. I love my little qiviut/silk Swallowtail so much. How could I resist more fiber happiness? Even the merino/qiviut/silk blend is just delightful. I’m afraid I asked her not to tell me what the total was.

stitches - qiviut
Qiviut 15/Merino 80/Silk 5 in lavender light fingering, Qiviut 45/Merino 45/Silk 10 in pale green laceweight, Golden Crown Suri Alpaca undyed laceweight

What to knit with it? The simple pretty Angel Lace shawl by Evelyn Clark from Mistralee Farm Studio. I also found Melissa Leapman’s Hot Knits at Yarn Barn of Kansas with the sweater featuring the leaf-lace-cable-vee-neck we swatched in class. I think this is what I really want to knit with the Classic Elite Wool Bamboo not Tangled Yoke. And, stepdaughter’s friend just had a baby, so I do have a little person to knit something for!

stitches - books

Saturday afternoon I worked The Needle Lady booth. Lots of wonderful knitters visited us and it was a good show. But, it’s exhausting!

Sunday, I just thought I would walk through the Market one, last, time. Purely unnecessary, gratuitous yarn buying ensued.

I kept walking by the Shelridge Farm booth all weekend. No, no, no I don’t need any laceweight. But, a little fingering weight never hurt anyone, right?

stitches - shelridge
Soft Touch Ultra, fingering weight, Navy and Cornflower

No, no, no I don’t need any roving. Merino/Tussah you say? Lisa Souza hand-dyed roving? OK.

stitches - souza roving
Merino/Tussah silk combed top, 4oz, Elektra colorway

No, no, no I reeeeaallly don’t need any roving. But, I’ve spun with Black Bunny FibersFalkland roving and it was delightfully easy to spin. Blue Faced Leicester? Coming home with me.

stitches - BBF BFL
BBF BFL, 8oz, no tag so no colorway

Black Water Abby, just pure enablers there. I had a nice chat about yarn weights, and whether washing first would make the worsted weight soft enough for me to knit Celtic Dreams without my hand falling off. Small sample ball to take home and test it out? Why sure!

What if I just check the Webs booth? Just for a minute? Just to look? At the Ultra Alpaca Light? A Tangled Yoke’s worth of lighter weight of my favorite yarn? Dammit, only $5 more for a 20% discount. A couple of balls of superwash merino for some chunky socks will do the trick. And this Kaffe Fassett Regia will make a very nice gift for another SnB friend.

stitches - webs
Regia Kaffe Fassett pretty Caribbean colors, Ultra Alpaca Light in denimy-heathery blue, Valley Yarns Superwash Merino palest blue, Black Water Abbey worsted in bright mossy green

There. Feeling better now?