Monday, October 8, 2007

WIP Report October 8, 2007

WIP’s in Active Rotation:
(Yes, I really am working on all of these at different times as the week goes by)

Lace:

Hypoteneuse Stole: Anne Hanson of Knitspot’s simple, geometric “man-lace”. Easy knitting, goes quickly in DK Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool. Great SnB, car, and TV knitting.
Progress: Into repeat 6 of 18.

Hypoteneuse Wrap progress 071008

Forest Canopy Shawl: Susan Lawrence’s Leaf lace top-down triangular shawl with scalloped edging. Knit with my handspun fingering weight BFL on US3 Addi Lace needles. This is about the easiest lace I have ever knit. Will knit additional repeats, as large as my yarn allows.

Progress: Knit through repeat 10 of TBD.

Forest Canpopy - ten repeats

Scarf with Striped Border from Weldon's No 5: I’ll be teaching an Introduction to Lace Class at The Needle Lady in November. Mimi asked me to use this pattern from Victorian Lace Today as the class project. It’s a very simple garter stitch lace. The first edging is knit, stitches picked up for the body, then the final edging is knit on.

Scarf with Striped Border - sample

Just to knit once through the pattern, I’m using my handspun Blueberry Merino/Tencel. It’s a sport to DK weight, which is a bit heavier than the pattern calls for, but it will block out to be a nice warm scarf.

Progress: First edging and about 60% of the body.

Secret of the Stole: Another mystery stole, this time designed by DK, the Nautical Knitter. Sign-ups closed on October 4th, but the pattern will be available once all the hints are released. I’m using some Just Our Yarn Silk/Cashmere that I bought at Montpelier two years ago and hand-dyed a lovely soft light blue, iridescent silvery-white #8 seed beads, and my new Jenkins Woodworking Rosewood US4 lace needles.

Secret of the Stole Hint 1 - Done

The first hint came out October 5th and is very easy so far. Two points are knit then joined to make a W-shaped edge.

Progress: Hint #1 Done.

Secret of the Stole Beads


Argosy Scarf: Done, click HERE.


Sweaters:

Sweaters!?!

I don’t usually have the patience to knit sweaters. Some of you who know me will be chuckling at the size of the lace shawls I’ve knit and number of stitches in the socks for my size 11 feet and wondering how this can be. Yea, me too. And wondering how I’ve been bitten by the sweater bug this year.

Sea Fever Cardigan: Simple gansey pattern cardigan, knit with Berroco Ultra Alpaca in the heathery lilac color on US3 and US4 circs. At 240+ stitches per row in pattern every row, this one is a long-range project. To make the knitting easier, I cast on three extra stitches and started knitting in the round and plan to machine stitch steeks at the cardigan front, and no reason not to do the armholes too.

Progress: Knit 8” from the bottom edge.

Sea Fever Cardi, progress 071008

*NEW* Tangled Yoke Cardi: Stockinette cardigan with knotwork cables at the yoke. Decided to go with Classic Elite Wool BamBoo, in the slightly steely medium blue, using Addi US4 circs. The yarn is loosely plied, very squooshy and resilient. The bamboo gives it a nice sheen and silky feel. While swatching with pointy needles (KnitPicks Options) it was occasionally just a little splitty, though with the Addis it’s less so.

Tangled Yoke Cardi, cast on first sleeve

Gauge is working out at 5.5spi, so I’m planning to use the stitch count for the smallest size. I’m starting with the sleeves, making them a bit narrower and adding length. I’m giving serious consideration to knitting this in the round and steeking it as well. It’s not that I don’t like purling as much as that it tires my left hand/wrist/arm more.

Progress: One sleeve cast on, garter rib cuff 1+”

Tangled Yoke Cardi stitch marker

In the sweater queue? Lace Cardigan from Louisa Harding’s Modern Classics in Blue Sky Alpaca/Silk, Celtic Lattice Vest from Cheryl Oberle’s Folk Vests in Spirit Trail BFL and Ultra Alpaca, and maybe a vest in some stashed Silk Garden.


Socks:

MadTini Sock Two: Pattern from Sock Madness. My carry around knitting, this will get worked on in bits and pieces. These socks just don’t call to me to be knit on. Need to get them done so I can start something more fun.
Progress: Ribbing and two repeats on the leg done.


Spinning WIP’s:

Merino/Tencel - Red: My goal is to spin 8oz of 2-ply laceweight. I’ve got the first ounce or so spun. In order to keep the singles at all consistent, I find I need time when I can just sit and spin on this when I’m not tired or distracted.



UFO Hall of Shame:

Felted Tote: Hibernating

Touch Me Scarf: Frogged, will knit it again later a little looser gauge.

Dancing Crayons Wrap: Hibernating. Need another large mitered square and to rework the i-cord edging.

Clapotis: On Hold, pending a decision on what else I could knit with 600yds of this variegated yarn.