Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Ummm, What Blog?

Lots of travel + general slump + work crunch = no blogging for a while

Knitting:

I’ll give a full UFO report, to keep myself on track (or not as the case may be) after Thanksgiving. But, to tide you over, I will show off some progress on Hypoteneuse now.

Hypoteneuse Stole 071121

The stole is coming in the home stretch with only five more repeats to go, unless I lengthen it. This is going to be a great cozy everyday wrap for the chilly TV room or traveling. The Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool has a soft yet sturdy feel that is warm but very light. I can just see it shoved in a bag on a plane trip with no ill effects and being just the right weight for those times when there’s just a little too much AC.

Hypoteneuse Detail 071121
32 + 42 = 52


You may remember this merino-silk-angora from The Woolen Rabbit.

Merino/Silk/Angora - Color blocks

I don’t know what possessed me the other day, but now it’s a cute neck and wrist warmer set.

Cherry Garcia and wristies

The neck warmer is Hello Yarn’s Cherry Garcia, knit as written, and the wristies are simply ribbing with a few cable twists thrown in. I was determined to use every bit of the lovely yarn and succeeded in only having about six yards left over. So much fuzzy halo, so much silky sheen!

Speaking of handspun,

BFL Willow

I started some fingerless mitts for the Husband. He loves them for operating the ham radio in his chilly radio shack. This is BFL in Willow from Wooly Wonka spun to a 2-ply fingering weight. I’m using AnnyPurls’ adaptation of Hello Yarn’s Cable Twist sock as a departure point and will knit these to fit a manly size mitt.

Manly Mitts in BFL handspun

Yes, I guess this does count as Holiday knitting. I’m putting my sweaters on the back burner and will see if I can get the Forest Canopy Shawl and maybe the Secret Stole done in time for gift giving.


Teaching:

I taught my first Introduction to Lace class on Monday night and it was fun. We could have gone on for another hour or two, I’m sure. I’ll know better next time how to pace things and will try to schedule the classes for weekends rather than evenings after work. I showed lots of samples of lacy knitting, covered basic yarns, needles, and techniques, worked on some swatches, and we got started with a lacy scarf from VLT as a class project. I’m hoping to run the class again after the first of the year when things aren’t quite so busy for everyone.


Spinning:

And in exciting news for me, I’ve just registered for a class at the John C. Campbell Folk School in NC for the second week in January. Spinning Lavish Luxury Yarns will cover lots of fiber types, carding, dyeing and spinning techniques for the various fiber characteristics. I am really looking forward to the workshop, especially after hearing such wonderful reports on the classes from Robin H and Mary L.


I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend. If you are traveling, be safe!