Tuesday, January 1, 2008

No More Humdrum Mittens!

Thanks to Anne, mitten enabler extraordinaire, I've signed up for the No-More-Humdrum Mittens Swap 2!


Here are my answers to the questionnaire:

How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?

The truth is, I don’t know. What I remember is that when I was about ten, we learned to knit a garter stitch square at school for a class afghan project. I learned to knit, forgot, and learned again a time or two or three. About every five years or so, I'd decide I wanted to knit something, knit it, then leave it alone again. I bought a copy of Knitting Without Tears, in the eighties sometime, and that was my main source of instruction for a long time. Since I came back to knitting about five or six years ago, I've taken lots of classes, including two trips to Stitches, but most things I figure out on my own.

Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I think I'll have to say advanced. I consider myself a collector of knitting techniques, though I've rarely knit entire projects with most of them.

What are your favorite colors? Any you dislike?

Like: Purples, Blues, Greens, Reds, though not always all together. Also, greys, browns, black. Dislike: Orange. Perhaps it would have been easier to say I like most colors except orange and really bright yellow. I like rich colors (even if they are light) better than pale pastels.

Do you like Latvian type patterns? If so, what are your favorite patterns?

I haven't knit any, though I do like the motifs, and color combinations.

Do you desire mittens for yourself, your "special someone else" or your child?

For myself

What is the measurement from your wrist to the tip of your longest finger?

7-1/2"

What is the circumference of your hand at it's widest point?

7-5/8"

What other things do you enjoy knitting?

Lace and socks.

What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)

Circs, Addi, Addi Lace, Options, Harmony.

What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?

I've got entrelac on my list of things to try that I haven't gotten around to yet.

What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?

Pygora. I've got some fiber and just need to spin it up!

What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden? Cook?

Spinning, a little gardening, a little cooking, occasional beading

Besides yarn, do you collect anything?

Other than clutter and herds of dust bunnies, ummm, no.

What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty? Anything you hate or are allergic to?

Chocolate. I'm allergic to walnuts and cashews.

Do you have any kids? Pets?

Four grown step-kids. Three cats!

What is your favorite part of Winter?

Clear skies and bare lacy tree branches.

What is your least favorite part of Winter?

Freezing rain.