Tuesday, January 22, 2008

WIP Wednesday – 2008/01/23

WIP’s in Active Rotation:

MadTini Sock Two: Pattern from Sock Madness, knit in Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock.

Status: Didn’t finish, but I’m more than halfway down the foot, and will get a bunch done at SnB tonight!

MadTiniTwo Half a Foot
I think I can, I think I can, I know I can

Goal: Finish and send to my sister C. Seriously! Get. Them. Done!


Hypoteneuse Stole
: From Knitspot, knit in Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool.

Status: Still at repeat 13.5 of 18. I didn’t knit a single stitch on this while traveling, in favor of The Sock.

Goal: Same as last week. Get back to work on this wrap and make some progress this week.

(However, I did spin a some hand-dyed merino from Madeline Tosh that my friend Krista brought me from Texas. I know we’ve had enough of spinning this week, so I’m just sort of sneaking this in here.

Ring of Fire finished
Click for bigger and more details

It’s 3.5oz, ~140yds of aran to chunky weight, 2-ply, enough for a hat or a small scarf.)


Swap Mittens: No More Humdrum Mittens Swap 2

Status: After a couple or three false starts, I think I have a plan. And I spent a LOT of time charting and figuring for these. My pal wants fingerless mitts, lightweight for in the house, or under big gloves outside. So, I’m going with fingering weight Louet Gems Pearl. The pattern is my own and it’s knit with a corrugated rib cuff, cabled back of the hand, and thumb gusset. If this works out, I’ll put the pattern up later.

Mitten Swap Mitts-4
Really, the floats are looser than they look

Goal: Take these to SnB and have others try on to see if the cuff really is too tight. Finish Mitt One? Start ribbing on Mitt Two.


Learn to Knit Socks Class: Sock Classes are scheduled for Sunday February 24 and March 9 at The Needle Lady.

Status: We’ll knit a basic, worsted weight, top-down, flap-heel, grafted toe sock, using Ann Budd’s Getting Started Knitting Socks as a reference, and I’ll be writing up a simple store pattern (once I knit my sample sock!) Based on a conversation at the shop on Sunday, I’m going to ask Mimi about scheduling a beyond-the-basics sock class, for knitters who want to try toe-up, short-row heels, or just want a little support working some patterning into their socks.

Goal: Start knitting a worsted weight sock and drafting a basic sock pattern.


Lace Knitting Class: Lace Classes are scheduled for Tuesday February 26 and March 11 at The Needle Lady.

Status: A second session of Beginner Lace, this time using Evelyn Clark’s Leaf Lace Shawl as the class project. So, I need to actually knit a small sample of the shawl

Goal: Start a mini-Leaf Lace Shawl as a sample for the shop, and write up a few notes.



Bird in Hand
: Kate Gilbert’s pretty stranded mittens pattern, knit in Berroco Ultra Alpaca.

Status: First mitten started and halfway up the thumb gusset. I’m going to have to move these to the On Hold section until I get class prep knitting and my swap mittens done.


WIP’s On Hold (but not In Time Out):

Sea Fever Cardi: Simple gansey pattern cardigan, knit with Berroco Ultra Alpaca in the heathery lilac color

Status: On Hold until things quiet down.


Felted Tote:

Status: From the long-term UFO pile, and begging to be finished. All the outside pockets are knit, the base is done, and sides (in-the-round) are at about 4.5 of about 18”.

Goal: Knit a bit when I can.


Startitis Alert:

Amazingly, I have not cast on for any lace shawls or stoles despite the ongoing mystery group for the Spring Surprise and Secret of the Stole 2.