Wednesday, February 6, 2008

WIP Wednesday – February 6, 2008

I’ve tried to concentrate on knitting and fiber here, keep it light hearted, and amuse you with my trials and triumphs. But last week was spent at the bedside of my terminally ill father-in-law. Next week I’ll fly to Florida to help out my own father through his second surgery for carotid artery blockage.

So, it may seem like WIP Wednesday would be a low priority, but I’m home for a week, and wanted to share a few good things from the past two weeks, since Knitting was a good thing for me. Knitting helped pass the time, helped busy the fingers, and quiet the mind just a little. Reading a few knitting blogs in the evenings helped remind me of and re-ground me in the normal world that was going on everywhere else. I am very grateful for kind thoughts and prayers sent our way in comments and emails.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

FO’s:
MadTini Socks! Done and mailed to my sister.
Hypoteneuse Stole! This wonderful wrap will get its own post in a day or so after it’s blocked.
Sock Class Sample Sock! Done and going to the LYS today.

WIP’s in Active Rotation:

Swap Mittens: No More Humdrum Mittens Swap 2
Status: Believe it or not, I’ve knit the corrugated rib cuff AGAIN! Even with the votes of confidence at SnB last week, I just knew the cuff was too tight, too unstretchy. So, I’ve knit it again, still on US2.5’s (Addi Turbos) but so loosely that now at least the cuff will fit over the wearer’s hand.

Details: Fingerless mitts, Louet Gems Pearl, corrugated rib cuff, cabled back of the hand, thumb gusset. The cable is intricate enough that it requires keeping the chart handy, and needs more than casual attention. Good for my long layover in Charlotte?

Goal: Continue Mitt One. Start ribbing on Mitt Two.


Learn to Knit Socks: Sock Classes will be on Sunday February 24 and March 9 at The Needle Lady.
Status: Sample sock is done!

Sock Class Sock - Heel
ArtYarns Supermerino, worsted weight

Goal: Finish writing up the instructions/pattern for class.


Learn to Knit Lace: Lace Classes will be on Tuesday February 26 and March 11 at TNL.
Status: The plan is to knit mini Leaf Lace Shawls in three weights as samples of the leaf lace pattern. I’ve cast on for a DK weight sample, and will also knit one in fingering weight and lace weight yarns.

Goal: Continue mini-shawls, maybe as travel knitting, and write up class notes.


WIP’s On Hold:

Bird in Hand: Kate Gilbert’s pretty stranded mittens pattern, knit in Berroco Ultra Alpaca.
Status: On Hold until I get class prep knitting and my swap mittens done.

Sea Fever Cardi: Simple gansey cardigan, knit with Berroco Ultra Alpaca in the heathery lilac color
Status: On Hold until things quiet down.

Felted Tote:
Status: Knit a few rows last night as it was the only mindless knitting around. I’ll still knit a bit when I can, but, find that knitting with this heavy worsted aggravates my arm.


Startitis Alert:
Too much going on to seriously consider big lace right now, so I’ve dodged that bullet. I’m looking for low-challenge travel and waiting around knitting for next week.

STR Mustang Sally
Red!

Right now, I have my eye on some stashed Lightweight STR in Mustang Sally that is perfect for Project Spectrum’s current elemental theme of Fire. Then there’s also the fiery handspun merino that wants to be a simple scarf. Too hot for Florida knitting though. That one will have to wait ‘til I get home.