Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Ardmore Round Tower
Round Tower, Ardmore, County Waterford, Ireland, 1984

Many of you would have no way of knowing that I spent most of my life named O'Reilly. My sisters have even more irish names than I and the week the three of us spent in Ireland with our Dad in 1984 was amusing at times. "Oh, the Da, the three girls!" We arrived by overnight ferry from France (I don't know what the Canadian kid down the bar did, but I was drinking free whiskeys on the ferry because I was American not Canadian), I was the designated driver, stick shift, left-handed, on the wrong side of the road, with a hangover. Let me mention now that the Irish, known for their fatalistic attitude, drive with no fear of death. It was June 1984, early Summer, beautiful, and President Reagan was touring the Irish countryside (while we all hoped no Irish eejit would lob a bomb at him).

I've not been back since. But the Hubs has asked me to plan a trip to Ireland for September and it will be fascinating to see how things have changed, and what remains timeless.

Sláinte