Thursday, October 2, 2008

WIP, uh Thursday

Haven’t done a WIP Wednesday in a while, but the day got away from me yesterday. I’m getting down to all the last minute things that have to be done before going to SOAR. Little things like payroll, bills, cat food, laundry.

There are promises of wi-fi at the hotel, but time and brain overload may not allow much in the way of blog posts until I get back. So, I’ll leave you with a few simple projects that are in active rotation, for inspiration:

Endless Top-Down Raglan Sweater
I love this yarn, Classic Elite Classic Silk. It’s got a soft cottony-silky hand and some texture. It’s just a little tiring on my hands, so progress is slow, but I’m gonna love this sweater when I ever get it done. This is the generic top-down raglan pattern and with a scoop neck. Starting over, I would cast on fewer stitches at the back and front as the body ended up a bit oversized by the time the armholes were long enough. But my goal was a casual like-a-sweatshirt sweater, so it’ll do. And, I did add some decreases at each side at the waist to bring the hem in a bit.

Comfy Sweater-03 seed stitch hem

In order to really check on the fit, I’ve already picked up and knit the neck’s seed stitch border, and will finish the hem and cuffs with the same seed stitch. I’m considering adding a small simple lace motif around the cuffs, but we’ll see when I get there.

Comfy Sweater-04 hem detail
Just a few more rows!

I realized taking this photo that it’s just the color of my favorite crape myrtles!

Crape Myrtle "Tonto"

Goal: This has been great mindless TV knitting, and I’ll probably turn to this for evening knitting at SOAR. So, the goal is to finish the hem, figure out my decreases for the sleeves, and get one started.


Swap Mittens
I balanced my desire to knit some really complex Latvian mittens with the reality of a deadline for the mitten swap. Then too, I kept looking at the pattern for the Fiddlehead Mittens from Hello Yarn and just really wanted to knit them. I’ve kept the scheme to two colors rather than six but may have a surprise planned for the lining. I don’t want to give away too many details, but I don’t think showing a photo will spoil the surprise for my pal.

Swap Three Mittens-01 First Cuff
Yes, they are that bright!

I did add a longer cuff, using one of the motifs from the mitt.

Goal: Knit a bit on Mitten #1 at SOAR.


Green Twill Scarf
I’m using some Ultra Alpaca Light and M&W point twill threading and treadling on 4 shafts for a nice soft scarf. The draft is from Dixon’s Handweaver's Pattern Directory, page 88-89. I’m getting some xmas gifts started early for a change this year!

Green Twill Scarf-01
Have I told you lately how much I love Ultra Alpaca?


Goal: Weave a few more repeats before I leave on Sunday. Weaving is NOT portable.


Blue BLF with a Twinkle
Last but not least, this is spun from some lovely carded batts from Keri (her Etsy shop is empty at the moment but she has wonderful little project bags too). There’s just a touch of Angelina carded in for the subtlest sparkle in the spun singles. I’m spinning a bit thicker grist than usual (for me) and will chain-ply for an aran weight yarn to knit a Tudora neck warmer. The BFL is really soft, and I’m letting little inconsistencies into the singles so I’ll end up with a slightly tweedy (in texture not in color) finished yarn.

Blue BFL on the bobbin
Please ignore my uneven singles and just click for big to see the little sparklies

Goal: I’m going to see if I can spin the second 2oz before I leave, or alternatively take this as sit-n-spin fiber at SOAR.


So, I’ll see you after spinning camp and a quick visit to my Sister at the Delaware Water Gap!